When I found out I was having my first child I used to watch a lot of videos and read a ton of blogs about what I needed. If you are the type of person who is looking to stay on a certain budget (like me), check out these 5 items. They are my top most recommended items from Amazon that I had great experiences with.
- If you are going to breastfeed, I HIGHLY recommend the Haakaa silicone manual pump. If you are working or still attending college/university, this is a great addition to your LIFE! It is easy to use, gentle on your breasts, you can travel with it, and most importantly its proven to help build your milk supply.
2. Milk storage bags! If you are going to pump, you need somewhere to store the milk. I use the Lansinoh brand because if you decide to freeze the milk, its easy to store and defrost. Another thing is, they are BPA free! They can be used for milk, fresh frozen fruits and vegetables for you little one.
Storage bags: https://amzn.to/2WI8nEV
3. Nursing pads, Nursing pads, Nursing PADS! Cant stress it enough how important these little discs are. Since I like to save money, I use the reusable pads instead of disposable. You can go through 3-5 disposable nursing pads in a day, that’s over 30 in a week! However, it is just a recommendation so here are the two types of pads that are ultimately my favorites.
4. One of the most uncomfortable experiences a breastfeeding mother can experience is—LEAKING in PUBLIC! Sometimes breast pads can overfill, move around, and feel uncomfortable. I used this milk catcher that allowed me to stay dry outside, collect VALUABLE milk that could’ve gone to waste in a pad, I felt comfortable, and its easy to use!
Milk catcher: https://amzn.to/2TgTGqa
5. Being comfortable is one of my main go-to’s. Nursing bras are a MUST of breast feeding moms. You never know when your little one will need some milk! so You will need a bra that is easily accessible, COMFORTABLE, and good quality. Here are some options:
Pack of 2: https://amzn.to/3e39Onv
Pack of 5: https://amzn.to/3bBMLOU
6. If you do happen to experience cracked, sore, and/or dry nipples–I recommend these two products. The Lansinoh Organic Nipple cream is very light; some women worry about applying creams on their nipples when they have to feed the baby. That’s why I recommend the organic kind.
Nipple cream: https://amzn.to/3cUbwXO
Aquaphor can be used for both you and your little one. Here’s a scenario: “You are breastfeeding, wearing a nursing pad all day, using baby wipes to clean off dry milk off your breasts- these can cause dry skin which can lead to irritation.”
You want to be as comfortable as possible. Using aquaphor to moisturize your breast (not your nipple, you will use the cream) is super effective and you don’t have to worry about buying so many products.
Those are my 6 top recommended items for breastfeeding mothers. There are a ton of other products that can be purchased but not needed. If you add everything up, it comes out to about $90. The fact that these items can be used in the long term makes it worth the money. Instead of buying two or three items for $70-$90, you get 6!
Let me know in the comments if you have used any of these items in the past or will be using them in the future. Feedback is best!